I am sorry that I have not kept up with this blog as well as I should have. So the last I posted was about moving the Tiny home frame to my community college in Hastings, NE. Well that was done and it was kept inside. After the Christmas holidays were over I was able to get back to it. This semester has been very hectic and getting extra help to get it moving along has been a struggle. This construction program builds an 1800 square foot house each year, done by the first year students from bottom top and that is the focus not building a tiny home. So once we got back from break over Dec-Jan we had alot to do and I had to focus on that. Well in the last month or so a lot of progress has now been made on the tiny home because we got the big house completed and ready for auction this Wednesday. (This is a really awesome program – http://www.cccneb.edu/HastingsHouse/)
So here is the latest on the tiny home. The framing was completed of the four walls. Over spring break I picked up the wood for the loft floors which is also the ceiling for the areas below. This is a blue beetle pine (the wood that the beetles destroyed in Colorado in the last few years is being harvested, beautiful colors) and it was put in on top of the ceda 4×4 cross beams.
I also extended both of the lofts out about 22 inches on either end of the house to give them more room. So now the big loft (my bedroom) is 11 feet long and the other loft (storage etc ) is 5 feet long.
Then on top of the lofts the dormers were built. This is a straight up wall about 32 inches in height that allows for more moving room in the lofts and the addition of windows. I have placed 4 of the 11 windows in the house in the lofts. The large loft has three, two crank windows with one on either side of the loft in the dormer walls and the third is a slide at the head of the loft. The small loft has one window at the head.
Then once the dormers were built up we were at a height that was to tall to get out of the building that I was working in safely (the garage door was 12 feet tall and the house was about 11’9″ at this point so nothing more could go up. So we worked on the outside of the house. Sheathing was placed on the “bottom floor” and the windows were cut out and the then it was time to move the house outside.
Once outside we have been able to put the rafters on and the sheathing for the roof and put on the roofing paper along with the Tyvex wrap around the house. We also got the facia board on (cedar) all along the roofline and it looks nice. The roof was ordered and it will be a metal roof and the color burgandy.
Then it came time for the windows. Currently the 7 windows on the bottom floor are in and calked and the top windows have not been cut out due to some weather we have experienced recently. The windows are white and the trim will be white pvc. I think that it will look great especially with the cedar siding and burgandy roof. Some of you may know this color combination. (LOL! Gig’em!)
We are expecting some bad weather the next few days so we shall see how the progress comes along. The roof is in and should be delivered tomorrow along with the threshold extension that I had to order for the front door. The door is one that I got in DC and went ahead and stripped it (four coats of paint on each side.. UGH!) and have now sanded it and cut it down to size.
I have a couple panes of glass that have to be replaced due to me, one on the door and one in a window. That will happen later. If the weather does not stay good for us to work on the roof then I will work on the inside and putting in the bathroom wall.
I currently have a shower and refrigerator in hand for the house and am working with professionals to make sure I get the right stove, split A/C mini unit and compost toilet.
I will try to update more often now that school is down to the last week. Thank you for being patient. I will now work on getting pictures in order of progress.